Summerlin, near Las Vegas, Nevada's downtown, is a picturesque community in the western part of the city. The master-planned community spans 22,500 acres and boasts a population of over 100,000 residents. The area is surrounded by beautiful desert landscapes, gorgeous parks, and stunning golf courses, making it one of the region's most sought-after places to live.
Summerlin is named after Howard Hughes' grandmother, Jean Amelia Summerlin. The Howard Hughes Corporation developed the master-planned community in 1990, and the first residents moved around 1991. Since then, Summerlin has grown into one of the region's most desirable places to live, with an array of residential options, including single-family homes, townhouses, apartments, and condominiums.
Here are the local attractions in Summerlin, including the points of interest nearby.
- Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area: This natural area features towering red rock formations, scenic hiking trails, and rock climbing opportunities.
- Downtown Summerlin: This open-air shopping, dining, and entertainment district offers over 125 stores, restaurants, a movie theater, and more.
- Las Vegas Ballpark: This minor league baseball stadium is the home of the Las Vegas Aviators, the AAA affiliate of the Oakland Athletics.
- City National Arena: This practice facility is used by the Vegas Golden Knights, the NHL's newest team, and features two ice rinks and a retail store.
- TPC Summerlin Golf Course: This 18-hole golf course hosts the annual PGA Tour's Shriners Hospitals for Children Open.
- The Summerlin Trail System: This network of over 250 miles of trails offers scenic paths for hiking, biking, and running throughout the community.
- The Gardens at Summerlin: This botanical garden features a variety of desert plants and landscapes, as well as walking paths and an outdoor amphitheater.
- Nevada Ballet Theatre: This professional dance company performs classic and contemporary works at the Smith Center for the Performing Arts in Downtown Summerlin.
- The Bruce Trent Park: This community park offers sports fields, a skate park, playgrounds, and picnic areas.
- The Summerlin Hospital Medical Center: This modern hospital offers advanced medical services and facilities, including a Level III neonatal intensive care unit.
Living in Summerlin
Living in Summerlin offers residents an exceptional quality of life. It is designed to cater to different lifestyles, including families, retirees, and young professionals. It's a safe and welcoming neighborhood with top-rated schools, beautiful parks, and exceptional amenities.
The cost of living is on the pricey side in Summerlin, but it is still much lower than in nearby Las Vegas. Home prices range from $250,000 to well over a million dollars, depending on the type and size of the home. The average rental rate for apartments is around $1,500 per month. Additionally, the community is home to excellent healthcare facilities, including the Summerlin Hospital Medical Center, which provides quality medical care to residents and visitors alike.
Whether you want an outdoor adventure or a cozy night out with friends, Summerlin has something to offer everyone. If you're planning a move to Nevada's most sought-after community, plenty of excellent opportunities await you!